Cloud computing is transitioning from a few large data centres to a truly decentralized computing paradigm. Computing resources are increasingly provided near the network edge, in a geographically distributed way, in the form of so-called fog nodes. Data produced in end devices like smartphones, sensors or IoT devices can be stored, processed and analysed across a continuum of compute resources, from end devices via fog nodes to cloud services. This decentralized computing paradigm provides huge benefits in terms of reduced latency, increased processing speed and energy savings, but the protection of sensitive data in such a widely decentralized setting becomes a critical concern.
FogProtect delivers new and advanced architectures, technologies, and methodologies for ensuring end-to-end data protection across the computing continuum, from cloud data centres through fog nodes to end devices. The FogProtect solutions are generic and can be used in multiple contexts to support many types of applications and services. FogProtect combines four main technology innovations:
- secure data container technology for data portability and mobility
- data-protection-aware adaptive service and resource management
- advanced data protection policy management
- dynamic data protection risk management models and tools.
Three complementary real-world use cases demonstrate the applicability of FogProtect solutions to multiple contexts and the impact of the project’s novel solutions for data protection: smart cities, smart manufacturing and smart media. FogProtect provides the essential building blocks to empower data protection, supporting resilience, trustworthiness and human-centricity in the Next Generation Internet.
FogProtect brings together knowledge and solutions of major European ICT providers together with competence of innovative SMEs and deep technical knowledge of leading research organizations, ensuring it has high scientific, technological and economic impact.
- UBIWHERE LDA PT
- ATHENS TECHNOLOGY CENTER ANONYMI BIOMICHANIKI EMPORIKI KAI TECHNIKI ETAIREIA
- EFARMOGON YPSILIS TECHNOLOGIAS
- IBM ISRAEL - SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY LTD
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON
- NOKIA SOLUTIONS AND NETWORKS GMBH &CO KG
- THALES SIX GTS FRANCE SAS
- TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITAET WIEN
- UNIVERSITAET DUISBURG-ESSEN
- DE VLAAMSE RADIO EN TELEVISIEOMROEPORGANISATIE
Programm: Horizon 2020
Typ: Research and Innovation Action
Fördersumme: 699.500 EUR (Gesamtfördersumme 4,9 Mio. EUR)
This project has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement no. 871525